Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Day of Contrasts

Saturday was a day full of contrasts, and for most of us it was also our last full day in Krakow.

The day started very early as we made our way to the Auschwitz concentration camps in the morning. As a Jewish woman growing up in Argentina and in New York, I have not only experienced three terrorist attacks against my people, but I have also studied the holocaust in depth. While I expected to be sensitive at the camp, I was not ready for the overwhelming emotion I felt. However, what surprised me the most was the incredible support I received from my classmates. It would have been a very different experience without them.

After returning to Krakow in the afternoon and exploring some more ordinary part of town during a long walk, we dressed in our finest clothes and headed to Wierzynek for a goodbye dinner. Wierzynek is the oldest restaurant in Poland and dates back to medieval times. On the walls we can see original weapons from that time, and the restaurant exudes the glamour of the city’s aristocratic past. We indulged in typical Polish food that included pea soup, and a red and white dessert. I was fortunate enough to sit near the Dean of the Jagiellonian University and converse about Polish culture and history, which provided me with an even greater insight into this wonderful country.

While I am on a plane on the way home, I am taking a moment to reflect on this trip. Our group was a very diverse one, with individuals from different countries, various backgrounds and vastly different life experiences. We had the fortune to get to know a city and its people in a way no ordinary tourist would have. I would like to think we all learned from one another and created long-lasting friendships. I am very grateful for these past few days and as we move on with our lives, some of us graduating in a week, this trip will stay with me forever as one of the best experiences of my time at Fordham. Thank you, Krakow, and Thank you, Professor Bozena!


No comments:

Post a Comment